Most children’s games even in playgrounds involve the use of toys. In fact, children spend most of their time playing with their toys. And just like any environment or stuff which get into contact with the children, parents will always worry about the potential risks. And here are the safety concerns regarding children games using toys.
- Made from toxic materials – It is an established fact that some toys contain lead which is harmful not only to kids but to any human. Though it is hard to tell whether the toy has lead in or not, it is safer to ask experts like paediatricians to know which toys can they recommend for your child and new born. There are also plastics which are hazardous to children that government health authorities warn about. Some toys also contain fire deterrent which is also harmful to kids. It is better to avoid such toys even if it is just a rumour.
- Pesticides – Some toys have pesticides on them. Though pesticides can be removed through washing multiple times, children will often play with their toys as soon as you bought them. It is safer to simply choose toys without any pesticides.
- Sharp edges – There are toys with sharp edges that can cause cuts on the children. Experts recommend that the parents should touch the toys themselves to check for sharp edges before letting their kids play with the toys.
- Can be swallowed – Aside from their hands, children would use their mouth to explore the toys they have. The nightmare for parents is that their kids could accidentally swallow any toy which could be fatal. It is important to choose large toys and check if there are no small parts in them in order to avoid such an incident.
- Having said that if your child is playing in a playground there are markings for playground games which children can use to play, the only injury to worry about in this environment is a few cuts and bruises.
- Can be easily damaged – Children will do anything with their toys. This includes throwing or smashing the toys. Cheap toys will often break so it is better to check the durability of the toys to avoid making the children cry.
- Can break down into shrapnel – This is a major concern for parents. No matter how durable the toys are, they will break at some point when children play with them. Though it is hard to tell if broken pieces will turn into shrapnel, it is better to check right away once you hear something that breaks. This way, you can prevent any injuries to your kids. Some parents would often choose balls or soft objects which rarely breaks to avoid injuring their children.
If you want to check if toys are totally safe for your children, it is better to ask experts like pediatricians. And to avoid injuries, better watch your kids as they play or engage on playground sports.